If having a WordPress blog has been one of your goals but you are still pondering, then I suggest you take action immediately!
A blog is your most powerful online asset, a perfect tool to communicate with the world and express yourself.
There are no limitations to what you can do with your own blog/ website- whether you are passionate about technology , want to sell products, create a portfolio , or any other reason — a website is the right way to go.
Note also that starting a blog is an easy task, if you know what you are doing.
In fact, It costs very little and will usually take less than one hour to get started.
But here is the tricky part, setting up a website is just the easy part, the real deal is to figure out how to enrich your blog with unique and useful content that you can eventually monetize.
CDM is a good example of a successful blog, launched by Eliud Mambo one year ago, the site has grown into a full-time money making enterprise. Here is a list of reasons to start your own blog.
5 reasons to start a blog.
- Gives you freedom to express yourself.
- Generate passive income
- Allows you to speak to a global audience.
- Showcase your Portfolio/ Your resume (in detail)
- Local reviews and strong online presence (law firms, restaurants etc…)
This article will help you kick-start your blogging career with a ridiculously easy step-by -step guide.The article is divided into four parts;
- How to choose a free domain name and affordable Hosting Package for your Blog.
- How to set up your blog to go Live.
- How to install WordPress
- Getting started with free themes
Let’s dive in:
Step 1: Choose a Domain name and a hosting package.
The domain name that you chose is a key element of your online success, so choose wisely. Of course, it’s important to choose wisely, why?
- Your domain name makes the first impression.
A domain name such as, bloggingtips.com, immediately lets you know what to expect.
But this does not mean you must use keywords, you can still decide to use your brand name e.g. cocacola.com or catforddigitalmedia.com.
In such a case you must strive to create brand awareness through other strategies such as offline marketing.
- It improves SEO rankings, especially when you use keywords.
Pro tip: When choosing a domain name try to think of a names that resonate with your niche. Also consider the following when deciding the domain name for your blog:
- Short and unique names are easier to say and remember.
- Do not use numbers or hyphens (-) as part of your domain name.
Web hosting is more like the physical space that you setup your business in.
In other words, a web-hosting company provides the technologies and resources necessary to keep your site live online.
Most hosting companies provide hoisting and domain purchase services.
If you already have a domain the hosting company will help you migrate your site to their servers.
Where do I get my free domain name and hosting package?
There are numerous webhosting companies but I highly recommend these two;
The two providers are really affordable and provide excellent customer support. Remember you need customer support especially when your site receives high traffic.
Also, when you purchase a domain name, you’ll get custom email accounts: firstname.lastname@example.org ; this is way more professional than using the generic Gmail and yahoo accounts.
- Bluehost also have a money-back guarantee which means that you can easily get your money back if you are unsatisfied with their services.
- Both companies provide an integrated C-panel to install WordPress which is the most popular blogging platform.
Now, let’s head over to bluehost.com and get started:
1.Start here to get the special offer of $ 2.75/month and click “Get started now” on the new Bluehost.com page.
2.Next, choose your plan.
We advice all new bloggers to choose the basic plan because the features included are sufficient for any blogger.
Of course you can always upgrade later if you deem it necessary (for example for more website space, more ‘included’ domains etc.)
3.Type the domain name you want to register in the left search box and click “next” to see if your domain is available.
If your preferred domain name is already taken, Bluehost provides relevant suggestions with different extensions including, .net, .biz, .org etc.
P.S: The right box is to be used only if you have already registered a domain and would like to use Bluehost’s hosting packages.
4.The next step is to fill your account information (you need an account to manage your domain). You can even sign up with your Gmail account; just click on “sign in with Google”
5.Now scroll down to this part, ‘package extras.’
You don’t really need the extra options as a beginner so you can un-check all the check-boxes.
Also, remember to adjust the package plan to 12 months which is the standard hosting plan. You’ll be charged annually.
Lastly, enter your payment information to complete the registration process. Once the payment is processed, you’ll be prompted to create a password for your account.
Step 2: Set up to customize your WordPress blog
Start by choosing the right blogging platform.
I recommend installing WordPress.
It’s the most popular blogging platform and powers well over 50 % of all websites including the official sites of companies like; Sony Music, CNN, Time.com, Bloomberg Professional, The Walt Disney Company and this site too.
Here are few reasons why WordPress is popular;
- It allows users to take full control of their site from day 1.
Hence you are able to control your site design and the content to publish, regardless of your level of technical skills.
From our experience, even newbies can hit the ground running with one hour of dedicated WordPress training. In fact, very little ongoing support is needed to keep your site running.
- WordPress offers amazing flexibility (in terms of design customization, theme selection) and handles any sort of website, from personal blogs to giant ecommerce and media sites.
- WordPress Can Handle various types of content and Media Types meaning that you are not limited to writing blog posts. You can upload videos, audios and images.
Bluehost (and all other major hosting companies) provide an integrated one-click installation for WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal so that anyone can have their site live with one click.
Follow these steps to Install WordPress on your domain:
- Log in to your hosting account
- Head over to your C-panel
- Locate the “WordPress” icon and click on it.
- Choose the domain where you want to install WordPress.
Once the installation is complete your next step is to choose a theme in your admin dashboard. Click here to get started with the next part of this guide ‘free WordPress.org themes.’
Posted by : Editorial team.